Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Upended Umbrella

Yesterday,

I lost the second umbrella in three months.

This has taken quite a toll on me.

Those umbrellas are not your usual run of the mill umbrellas.

They are sturdy, rigid, and eponymous. Being an umbrella, that is.

Quite such self-defense tools, there umbrellas are. And I lost one in arguably a self-defence situation yesterday.

Well, if you can call helping a small mob capture a petty pickpocket a self-defence situation, as in tripping the pickpocket (he did a nice zenpo mae ukemi, though failing miserably at the rollout) as a defence for whom pocket was picked. Whatever.

Yet, I find that I need to reassert my position on self-defence.

I can't stop thinking the the pickpocket needed self-defence in a grander scheme of things more, compared to my petty needs.

Keep safe.

Meanwhile, I'm in the market for a new umbrella. One that has to prove to be somewhat longer lasting than the last two.

No comments: